Part Four: The Children Shall Lead
- Begin with discussion prompts or quick write prompts: Would you be willing go to jail to challenge an unjust law? Would you let your child go to jail in an effort to overturn an unjust law?
- Teenager/Parent Negotiation role play. One student plays a sixteen-year-old student who wants to participate in the mass meetings at the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church. The second student plays the parent who wants the child to “stay out of trouble.”
- Discussion Question: In Birmingham did the children or the adults lead the strategy to fill the jails through civil disobedience?
- Have students discuss with their parent/guardian the role play. Have students ask their parents if they would have allowed them attend the demonstrations. Why or why not?
- Begin work on the culminating project