Watch “Eyes on the Prize: No Easy Walk” segment on Birmingham and the Children’s Crusade. Have students address the following questions in small groups or in their journals.
- Why did the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights make the decision to use children in the campaign?
- Why were parents discouraged from posting bail for their children?
- What do you think King meant when he stated that the demonstrations allowed children to develop “a sense of their own stake in freedom and justice?”
- How might you have responded to the call to participate in the demonstrations?
- What sacrifices would you be willing to make for a cause you care about? Be specific.